Monday, November 23, 2009

Progress is slow

I have decided that pushing her until I can at least pat the top of her head, is out of the question.  My process with her so far is this.  I reach my hand towards her periodically and she licks it a few times and we walk away. When I am sitting at the computer I have yummy treats (tiny pieces) there with me and almost every time she puts her front paws on my leg, I say good girl and hold a treat for her.  I hold it as she puts her mouth around it and use my other hand to try and scratch her chin.  Sometimes more than others she sort of lets me until she gets the treat out of my hand and then she is off.  At this point on day two, I can scratch her chin much longer than yesterday which started off as no touching whatsoever. Tonight she is following me around and laying next to where I am sitting, mostly watching me.  If I call her and pat my leg, she will put her paws up looking for a treat. every so ofter I just scratch her chin and no treat.

I worked today so she stayed free in the house with Daisy.  I gate so they can't go upstairs and left a few puppy pads down.  She only went once and on the pads, so at least we are not dealing with a major potty training issue on top of her fear.  She had no accidents yesterday and already knows what "wanna go out?" means.  She is VERY smart.

I was telling my brother, Mark who lives with me how my dog mommy instinct is to scoop her up and give her lots of love and I still find myself nearly reaching for her to grab her up and then sadly, come back to reality.  She is so adorable and such a perfect little Boston shape and personality that it kills me that I can't.

So, before I try and push her into accepting me putting the leash on her and changing her collar etc, I am going to wait until I can pat the top of her head. I think that will be major progress.

Here is a picture of her yesterday as the sun was almost out of the living room and she found a spot under a chair.  So lonely.

1 comment:

  1. Poor sweet baby! She does lookk so lonely... puppy mills suck!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete